|Spanish maestro: Mata has won 78 international caps for Spain so far, with 32 at senior level.|
|Number 8: Mata is a signal of intent for United, who want to secure a top 4 place this season.|
|Done: Mata met new manager David Moyes at the Carrington training ground on Thursday.|
- Selling arguably your best player to a rival club - Mata is the whole package (skills, movement, vision and attacking flair)
- Keeping him in the same league as you, more competition
- When you have just recently signed wingers, in the hope that they can shift into the centre of midfield to replace Mata..
- Even though Chelsea have strength in depth (in terms of central midfielders) surely it would make more sense to sell players like John Obi Mikel instead of Mata?
- The midfield trio of Hazard, Oscar and Mata was irresistible, take one out and the others are not the same anymore
- United will get stronger now with Mata in their side, a front four of; Januzaj, Mata, Rooney and van Persie
- One of those players that is very hard to replace, no matter how much it costs
For example, teams like PSG and Real Madrid were waiting patiently to see if Mata was going to get sold - fair enough they are Champions League rivals but you will not play them for majority of games, whilst United are in the SAME league.
I cannot say that I blame Mata for wanting to leave The Blues, after some poor man management on Mourinho's part who virtually froze Mata out of his first-team plans for no apparent reason, instead opting to play Oscar for the majority of games whilst the World Cup winner watched from the bench.
|Oscar (centre) has the potential to be one of the best central midfielders in the game, but he should have been partnered up with Mata...|
|Missing link: Chelsea fans are furious at the decision to sell Mata, which is understandable.|
He admitted from the start that Mata was not going to be in his immediate plans unless he showed that he could defend with the rest of the team, but not all CAMs are expected to track back and help the team on the backfoot. Mata was one of the players who did his job, not exactly known for his defending but did help out when he was required, yet Mourinho wanted to move his position which would not work.
|Mourinho left Mata on the bench for the majority of matches, unsurprisingly he got frustrated and left.|
That is arguably Mourinho's biggest mistake. Selling Mata, to a team that could quite easily challenge them for their own position in the league table.
We will see... can't help but think that Mata will be a great signing for United and Mourinho will be kicking himself for failing to realise the talent at his footsteps.
|Done deal: Mata has already signed an undisclosed contract with United.|
|Midfield gem: Chelsea supporters will be kicking themselves as they see this picture...|