Friday 25 July 2014

Lallana to Liverpool - Summer Signing Review #7:


Hello and welcome to my seventh installment of my summer signing reviews, this time I will be reviewing Liverpool's move to sign English midfielder Adam Lallana from Southampton, a reported transfer fee of around £25million pounds was agreed and Lallana was consequently unveiled a few weeks ago to the media and the supporters around the world.


At age 26, Lallana is clearly a player in the prime of his career and what better way to test himself than signing for a top 4 club in one of the most competitive leagues in the world?

Liverpool's consistent performances throughout the 2013-14 season meant that they qualified for the Champions League, for the first time in 5 years. 

Based on their world-class players and their style of football, they have attracted interest from many good players across Europe and are looking to strengthen in every position as they look to return to European action on weekdays in style, for the upcoming campaign. 

At The Saints, he was performing over expectations and raising his transfer value every week - now, he will be under pressure to perform alongside the likes of Coutinho, Gerrard and Henderson in an attacking midfield.

FACT: Lallana has become Liverpool's most expensive midfielder ever, after he signed.

This is what Lallana had to say in his first official interview with the club: 

Question: How massive is this move for your career?

Answer: It's a huge step - Liverpool is a club with so much history and the way they played last season is something I can't wait to build on. Champions League football is back and everyone's telling me that the atmosphere on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings at Anfield is special.

Question: So Liverpool impressed you last season? 

Answer: Watching them towards the end of last season was unbelievable. It got the hairs on the back of my neck standing up - deep down I was thinking to myself that one day I'd be able to play in that team! That dream has become a reality and I can't wait to get started.

Question: How different are Liverpool and Southampton?

Answer: People have said to me that there are similarities in the way that Southampton and Liverpool play their football. I hope that helps me to settle in easily, I just can't wait to work with the world-class players here. Only going to learn and get better. 

Question: What can you learn from Steven Gerrard?

Answer: There is no limit to what I can learn playing alongside Steven. I grew up watching him play, and he's a legend in the eyes of Liverpool fans! For me to be playing alongside him at club level is surreal!

Question: What's your message to your new club's fans?

Answer: Hopefully I can settle in quickly and I will give it my best throughout my whole time here. I just hope I can add something to the team and hopefully we can win trophies, because that's why I'm here!


FINAL VERDICT: It's a good signing without a doubt, fair transfer fee and he's going to a good club where he will settle in perfectly alongside his new team-mates as they hope to gel well together.

His playing style will give Liverpool a new dimension to the way they approach the game; his silky dribbling and top-class vision aswell as his range of passing and ability to create chances out of nothing will help the club greatly, to try and soften the blow lost by the sale of Luis Suárez.

If they can sign a clinical striker (currently linked with Remy), there is no reason why they cannot perform well in all competitions next season. 

Signal of intent by the Reds, they clearly want to stay among Europe's elite and signing a player of Lallana's quality proves this. 

Can they stay in the top four? Will they perform in the CL? Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment